Upon first reaching these islands, you feel as if time had stopped a long time ago and you had found yourself flipping through the pages of a fairy tale book. The tour of discovery around this archipelago in the heart of the Arctic Circle, will surely be engraved in your memory. The unique lighting that can only be found at this latitude, creates a dreamlike atmosphere for the islands’ breathtaking sceneries, surrounded by fjords, sharp mountains and fairy-tale fishing villages.
In this time of the year, there are high chances of witnessing frozen landscapes and, consequently, of capturing captivating close shots. During the hours of darkness, we’ll go to some of the islands’ most spectacular places and wait the most amazing spectacle the Arctic has to offer: the magical Northern Lights
Lofoten islands are still scarcely inhabited lands, therefore, not far from residential areas, you’ll be able to admire all that nature has to offer and keeps on creating everyday.
On this tour, we’ll be making a stop in each one of these unknown, yet photographically perfect places to take pictures of breathtaking landscapes
In fairytales you can often hear about enchanted villages, built on the coast and framed by the mountains. On Lofoten Islands, cities have this kind of magical aura: every house, every street and every mountain, they’re all nestled in a natural frame that contains years of history and tradition.
Who’s this trip for?
This is a trip is aimed at everyone who is passionate about photography and the incredible Scandinavian landscapes. We’ll visit and take pictures of all the most beautiful places on the Lofoten islands, alternating shooting at sunrise, at sunset and at night.
During the trip we’ll study all things related to landscape photography, both diurnal and nocturnal, from the theory of picture taking to post-production. We’ll start from the theoretical and technical foundations of photography and we’ll see how to put them to use whilst outside taking pictures, we’ll evaluate together the shots taken, and finally we’ll learn about the workflows in post-production depending on the files we have.
The goal of the trip is going back home after having lived a dream and having shot captivating landscapes.
Photo tour program
- We’ll meet you at Leknes airport
- Transfer to city
- Introduction and presentation of the tour
- First night shooting session, hoping to start off on the first day by catching sight of Northern Lights
- Sunrise among the city’s most characteristic streets, surrounded by red cabins on the coast and snow-clad mountains on the horizon
- After breakfast we’ll further enjoy the city before leaving for the three most characteristic villages: Hamnøy, Sakrisøy and Reine, where we’ll stop in the most suggestive locations
- Sunset at one of the most beautiful beaches on the islands, Vareid beach
- At night, we’ll go back to the villages of Hamnøy, Sakrisøy and Reine, which offer a lot of incredible spots for shooting
- The day will be dedicated to these three villages and to seeing Å, the last village in the south of the islands
- Sunrise at Reine
- Sunset and night among the most spectacular locations in these villages
- The tour will continue north, between beaches and lakes, where we’ll witness the amazing reflections of the mountains on the bodies of water.
- In this area we can expect sunrises, sunsets and nights in incredible places such as Fredvang, Ramberg, Flakstad, the famous Skagsanden beach and Smorten, where we’ll have an amazing view of Gimsøya island.
- We’ll wait for Northern Lights in two of the best places on the islands to capture them: Storvatnet lake, surrounded by mountains, and Skagsanden beach. Here, thanks to the reflections everything turns green.
- We’ll go to Leknes, central area of the islands
- We’ll stop in the most famous and magical fjord in the whole of the islands, Nusfjord
- We’ll visit and watch the sunset on the wildest beaches, Uttakleiv and Haukland, famous among surfers for their waves and among landscapes photographers for their incredible colours and the mountains that seem to be diving in the sea
- We’ll wait for Northern Lights on Uttakleiv beach
- Sunrise on one of the most beautiful beaches in Haukland/Uttakleiv.
- Drive to Unstad beach.
- On the way we choose the best place for the sunset. If the weather is favourable, we will admire the northern lights once again at night at a mountain lake.
- Plane departure from Leknes