The Dolomites, one of the most fascinating places in the world among mountain and landscape photography lovers, offer unique scenery every season. During this month, the landscape will be rich in autumn colors.
In this photo tour we decided to give you a unique photo adventure experience in the most beautiful locations in the Dolomites.
What can you expect from this photo tour?
Come join us for an exciting autumn adventure in the Dolomites. Improve your photography skills with our landscape photo tour, designed to enhance your photos and create lasting memories.
We will make stops at some of the most beautiful locations, staying in multiple strategically located hotels.
At this time we will be surrounded by autumn scenery and photograph the Dolomites at their most colorful time of year. We will experience sunrises and sunsets among mountains, lakes and foliage. We’ll spend a week immersed in the nature of these fantastic mountains unique in the world.
During this photo tour we will visit iconic spots such as the Tre Cime di Lavaredo, lago Antorno, Lago di Braies, lago di Misurina , lago Federa, Passo Giau, Passo delle Erbe, Passo Gardena, Val di Funes, Alpe di Siusi and some other hidden gems.
Who is the Dolomites Photo Tour for?
Our Dolomites Photo Tour is designed for landscape photography lovers who want to immerse themselves in the breathtaking beauty of these mountains.
All we ask of you is that you have a passion for photography and a willingness to share this experience with a small group of likeminded people.
Our goal is simple: we want you to go home with great photos, a deeper knowledge of landscape photography photography, and incredible memories. We’re here to help you enhance your photography skills and in addition to in-field tutoring, we’ll cover both theory and practical aspects throughout the week, including post-processing classes where we’ll work on the images we’ve captured together.
Dolomites Photo Tour Itinerary
Note: the program may change depending on the weather. We are flexible and will adapt to any situation in order to give you the best possible experience.
The meeting points is: Venice airport (Marco Polo), not after 11am on October 11th, 2024
On the 17th in the morning we will bring the group back to the Venice airport (Marco Polo)
Please the departure from Venice on October 17th no earlier than 3pm
Day 1 – Antorno lake
Meeting point at Venice airport (Marco Polo airport) by 11am.
After the presentation and an introduction of what we will experience during the week, we will leave to reach our first hotel near Tre Cime di Lavaredo in about 3 hours.
After checking in, we will relax and prepare our things for the first sunset at Antorno lake.
Sunset spot: Antorno lake
After the sunset photo session we will go to a restaurant to have dinner.
Day 2 – Landro lake (Dürrensee) / Tre Cime di Lavaredo (Drei Zinnen)
We are going to spend our first sunrise at a fairy-tale lake nestled in the mountains, Landro Lake.
Return to the hotel for breakfast.
After breakfast we will pack our backpacks and with our van we will reach the parking lot of the Auronzo hut, from where we will set off on foot to walk the entire ring of the Three Peaks of Lavaredo.
The walk is about 4 hours, but you will not get bored, the view is fantastic and we will stop several times to take beautiful photos. We will see and photograph the Tre Cime of Lavaredo from each of their most beautiful corners, including caves , trenches and autumn colors.
Sunrise spot: Landro lake
Sunset spots: Drei Zinnen, around the Locatelli hut, among lakes and fall colors
After the sunset photo session we’ll reach the van and go to the restaurant for dinner.
Day 3 – Federa lake / Passo di Giau (Giau Pass)
The next day, with super Jeeps (included in the price) we will reach a breathtaking lake where the colors of autumn are at their best, that of Federa.
After breakfast in the hotel, we’ll pack our things and leave at 11 o’clock to reach our new hotel in Cortina d’Ampezzo.
During the afternoon we will have our first photo session in front of the computer.
Sunrise spot: Federa lake
Sunset spot: At the Giau Pass among trees turned orange and mountain peaks.
After the sunset shooting session we’ll go back to have dinner and then to the hotel to sleep.
Day 4 – Braies Lake (Pragser Wildsee) / Cinque Torri
We’ll spend this new sunrise at Lake Braies, another lake that will leave you breathless with its colors.
After breakfast we will keep the morning off.
During the afternoon we will have another photo session in front of the computer.
At 4pm we will leave with our van to reach the Cinque Torri hut, where we will park and in 20 minutes walk we’ll get the Cinque Torri for the sunset photography session.
Sunrise spot: Braies lake
Sunset spot: Cinque Torri
After the sunset photo session ww’ll have dinner at a restaurant in Cortina d’Ampezzo area.
Day 5 – St. Jakob church / Santa Maddalena, Val di Funes
This day, after breakfast in the hotel, we take half morning off and then we prepare our things and we will leave to reach the new hotel located in Santa Maddalena area.
During the day we will stop to photograph a fairy-tale scene with the Seiser Alm in the background (20 minutes of walking is needed).
During the afternoon we’ll reach by van one of the most beautiful valleys of the Dolomites, Val di Funes where we will wait for the sunset (30 minutes of walking is needed).
During the day spot: St. Jakob church
Sunset spot: Val di Funes, Santa Maddalena view point
Day 6 – Erbe Pass (Würzjoch) / Alpe di Siusi (Seiser Alm)
Our last sunrise will be at Passo delle Erbe in front of Sass de Putia, a wonderful place full of photographic compositions.
After breakfast we’ll pack our things to reach our new hotel in an incredible place, the Seiser Alm.
Sunrise spot: Passo delle Erbe in front of Sass de Putia
Sunset spot: Alpe di Siusi (Seiser Alm)
After a rich breakfast our adventure will have come to an end.
We leave by van to reach the airport (Marco Polo airport, Venice).
- First two nights: hotel near Tre Cime di Lavaredo
- The third and fourth nights: hotel located near Cortina d’Ampezzo
- Fifth night: hotel near Santa Maddalena, Val di Funes
- Sixth night: hotel within the park of the Alpe di Siusi
The schedule will be optimized according to the weather to give you the best experience.
- On the second day will face a hike of about 4 hours (in all) to reach the planned spots around the Tre Cime di Lavaredo and return to our van. (We’ll stop at the market to buy some sandwiches, snacks and drinks before leaving).
- On the third day there will be no walking, we’ll use the super Jeeps to reach Lake Federa at dawn and reach with our van to the Giau Pass where we’ll do the sunset photo session.
- On the fourth day we have to walk 20 minutes to get the best view of the Cinque Torri, 20 going and 20 minutes coming back.
- On the fifth day we have to walk 20 minutes to reach St Jakob Church, and 20 minutes back to the van. Same for the sunset photo session at Val di Funes, 20/30 minutes out and 20/30 minutes back.
- There will be no need to walk on the last day.
- The remaining days we will have dinners in restaurants (not included in the price) we will take care of booking for the group.
- Some lunches may be packed, to better optimize our photographic program.
- The purpose of the trip is to improve photographic skills and take beautiful landscape photos but there will also be moments of relaxation.
- During the photo tour we will do several sessions of theory, practice and photographic technique. We will see and apply all the techniques studied in the field and we will analyze the shots obtained.
What will you learn on this photo tour?
Between amazing sceneries, good photography and a lot of fun, we hope to give you an experience and adventure that you’ll remember for the rest of your life.
We don’t just want to give you an experience, though. We want to make sure you’re excited about the photographs you’ve captured on our various sessions.
In addition to teaching photographic theories and techniques, we want to convey our passion and make you feel those emotions that being out in nature with a camera can give.
You will learn…
- Better manage your photographic equipment in easy and difficult situations
- Plan the shot through the use of apps and websites
- Read the histogram, both during shooting and in post-processing
- Compositional rules and the fundamentals to create impactful images
- How to use filters
- Manage various kind of lights, at sunset, sunrise and long exposures
- Choosing the right white balance
- Focus and hyperfocal distance
- The importance of the aperture
- The right shooting settings based on the scene, ISO, aperture, shutter speed and exposure compensation
- Masks and layers
- Dodge and burn
- Choice of color profiles (sRGB, Adobe RGB, Pro photo RGB)
- Many shooting techniques that will allow you to take home some “wow” photos, including focus stacking, mean stacking, perspective blend, multi exposure, focal blend, time blend
- Panoramic photography, from the arrangement of the equipment, to the merging of the shots in post production
- Tips and tricks that pertain to our specific workflow.
Giulio Cobianchi is a professional landscape photographer, expert and specialized in night photography with 10 years of experience. Aurora and Milky Way are his great passions. Being an outdoor enthusiast, since he was a child he loved immersing himself in the beauties of these mountains. The Dolomites are his photographic cradle, where he took his first photos. With him, you will be in the right place at the right time!
In order to offer the best quality, the maximum of attendees has been limited, so that we can follow each participant closely and in the best way possible.
A minimum is also been set for the tour to be confirmed.
Minimum: 4 participants
Maximum: 6 participants
To reserve your seat, you can pay a deposit at the moment of the booking and the remaining part within 30 days before departure.
Total cost: 2690€
Tour dates: October 11th – 17th, 2024
Single room supplement: 800€
The cost include
- A professional photographers who will teach you his special personal techniques
- All the accomodations in private double rooms in hotels (private single room available by booking at the time of photo tour registration and paying the supplement of 800 euros at the balance)
- All breakfasts
- All transfers by van
- Tolling of private roads / parking lots and any lifts used to reach spots
- Special super jeep transportation to reach Federa lake
- Transport to and from the airport
- Support Whatsapp private group
- Photo editing lessons with registrations
The cost doesn’t include
- International flights
- Lunches and drinks (which will sometimes be packed)
- Medical health insurance
- Theft / damage insurance
- Everything that is not included in the item “The fee includes”
How can I reach the meeting point?
The meeting point is: Venice airport (Marco Polo airport) not after 11am on October 11th
On the 17th in the morning we will bring the group back to the same airport.
Please the departure from Venice on October 17th no earlier than 3pm.
You can reach the Venice airport by plane, if you want to spend a night in Venice and you need advice on where to stay feel free to ask us.
If you are staying in one of the hotels near the airport, we can pick you up directly there.
What level of photography is required?
All of ours tours and workshops are open to beginners as well as professionals.
It’s only required that you know the menu of your own camera.
We just require a lot of passion for landscape photography and motivation to be out there every day at the right times to capture great photographs.
What physical level is required?
No particular level of preparation is required, the paths to be done on foot will be quite easy.
Only on the second day the walk to go around the Three Peaks of Lavaredo can be quite long for some. The duration is about 4 hours but we’ll stop many times to take pictures.
The trail is large and there are never any exposed or dangerous sections.
What kind of weather should I expect?
The weather in the Dolomites can be unpredictable, but on average this month you can find 10/15 grandees during the hot hours and temperatures will drop close to zero during the shooting sessions at the highest points.
Rain and a moody environment are common in this season.
Documents and currency
- Passport/ identity card valid for travel broad
- The country’s currency is the Euro
- Visa/MasterCard credit card are accepted (you may have some problems with American Express)
- You can withdraw Euro in every ATM with a debit card
- Some shelters do not accept cards and it is better to have cash
What camera gear should I bring?
- A digital camera
- A stable tripod
- A remote control that allows you to take photos with exposure over 30 seconds
- A wide angle lens for example a 14-24 or a 15-30. Paired with a 24-70 or a 24-120 would be perfect. If you like to shoot far away you can think about bringing a 70-200 or more.
- Photo filters (optional) GND, ND, polarizer.
Feel free to ask for advice regarding the equipment.
Tip: Various lens cleaning cloths.
What clothes should I bring?
The weather in the Dolomites can be unpredictable, but on average this month you can find 10/15 grandees during the hot hours and temperatures close to 3/6 degrees during the shooting sessions at sunrise/sunset.
We recommend that you dress lightly during the day, especially when we will face the hikes but, have thermal and padded clothes with you to wear after the sunset.
Thermal socks, waterproof boots and a waterproof and windproof outer shell are recommended.
For people who suffer from the cold we also recommend a hat and gloves.
The paths will be gravel and rocky, therefore slippery, so we recommend shoes or boots with a good grip.
How should I manage my suitcases?
Each participant can bring a suitcase and a photographic backpack.
This is to optimize the space in our van while traveling between the various places and from the Venice airport to the Dolomites / from the Dolomites to Venice.
How should I organize the backpack and the various things to carry around?
Only the second day we need to organize our backpacks to best optimize the photographic program.
We’ll reach the Auronzo refuge by van and from the parking lot we’ll start walking to do the entire Tre Cime di Lavaredo ring.
Before leaving our hotel for the achievement of the best photographic spots we will organize the backpacks together and we’ll stop at a market.
On this day It is important to have:
- Mirrorless or reflex
- Wide angle lens and a medio tele (for example a 14-24 and a 24-120)
- Warm clothes
- Water-repellent clothes
- Water to drink
- Sandwiches and some snacks (for lunch)
The following days we will always be close to our van, no need to organize backpacks.