Tenerife is an island with prehistoric landscapes that will leave you in awe. Entering the Teide National Park at night is like entering a place where time stopped a long time ago. It’s the stars and lava that reign here.
Forests, lava formations, volcanos, massive cliffs and beaches that are like made for photographers are just some of the wonders you will photograph during this week-long photography adventure. Due to Tenerife’s many microclimates, we can reach all of the above within just a short drive from our hotel.
Join us on this unforgettable adventure where we share with you the secrets of photographing the sea, volcanoes and stars.
Who is the Tenerife Photo Tour for?
This trip is designed for lovers of landscape photography that want to enjoy the incredible landscapes that Tenerife has to offer. All we ask of you is that you have a passion for photography and want to share this experience with a small group of likeminded people.
During the week we will introduce you to some of the most incredible places on the island. Alternating between sunrise, sunset and nighttime, you get the opportunity to see and photograph these unique places in all types of conditions.
Photographing the unique rock and lava formations in the Teide National Park under the Milky Way is one of the highlights and main priorities during the week. This is an experience you’re not likely to forget any time soon!
Our goal is for you to return home with beautiful images, a greater understanding of landscape and night photography, and an unforgettable experience.
We are there to help you improve your photography skills and in addition to in-field tutoring, we will thoroughly cover both theoretical and practical topics throughout the week (as well as post-processing classes where we work on the images we’ve captured)
Tenerife Photo Tour Itinerary
Note: the program may change depending on the weather. We are flexible and will adapt to any situation in order to give you the best possible experience.
Arrival at Tenerife South Airport no later than 4PM. We will wait for you outside the airport with our van, ready to drive to our hotel in Los Cristianos.
Our hotel is strategically located as we can reach markets, restaurants, shops and cafes by foot. We are also just a short drive away from our photography locations.
After checking in and having a brief introduction of what you can expect throughout the week, we prepare to head out for our first session of night photography. Already on night one you will understand what it means to “be under the Tenerife sky”
We take the morning of day 2 off. You can choose to sleep in or explore the shops and beaches of Los Cristianos by foot.
After lunch, we will arrange a lesson where we study the various aspects of photography that we will face the next few days. This will ensure you are prepared and ready to go when the conditions are at their best.
Departure from the hotel at 3pm for a daytime excursion in the Teide National. Here we will photograph the various lava formations, including caves and peaks of all shapes. We will also use this time to plan the photos and compositions that we’re going to take when the sun sets and stars arrive.
After photographing sunset, we will have a picnic dinner surrounded by incredible nature as we wait for the night sky and Milky Way to reveal itself. When this happens, we will be back by the various spots planned during the day.
On a clear night you can see the colors of the Milky Way with the naked eye. Welcome to the most beautiful sky in Europe!
Focus of the night session: capturing single shots with and without the use of a star tracker.
We take the morning of day 2 off. You can choose to sleep in or explore the shops and beaches of Los Cristianos by foot.
After lunch we will have our first post-processing where we focus on night photography. The main focus is teaching you how to get the most details from a single-shot Milky Way image.
Next, we head out to photograph the sunset at a beach located in the west of Tenerife where incredible cliffs dominate the landscape.
After dinner in a typical Canarian restaurant, we move to a new location in the Teide National Park where we go chasing the Milky Way.
Focus of the night session: Creating a panoramic night photograph with and without the use of a star tracker.
We start day 4 with a sunrise at the incredible Playa de la Tejita on the east coast of Tenerife.
After sunrise and a breakfast back at the hotel, you are free to spend the morning as you like. On the beach, exploring the shops or restaurants, or even in the hotel swimming pool.
In the afternoon we will have a new post-processing session. Today we are looking at some more advanced aspects of night photography. More specifically, how to manage and merge the files of a panoramic night image.
We have dinner in a restaurant located in La Masca, an incredibile village surrounded by green mountains overlooking the sea.
After sunset we will move to two other iconic sites on Teide to enjoy another night photography session. Here we will have the opportunity to put into practice the most advanced techniques learned during the last days.
We leave our hotel at 11am to go visit Playa de Las Teresitas in the north east of the island.
Here we will relax for a few hours before going to Benijo, perhaps the most famous beach in Tenerife. Here we enjoy dinner in a typical restaurant before grabbing our cameras to have a fun seascape session.
We end the day by going to the most beautiful viewpoint on the island where you can admire the mountains and coast at the same time. Another perfect place for night photography.
Free morning dedicated to relaxation in the heart of Los Cristianos, between restaurants and beaches.
During the day we will visit the astronomical observatory of Teide, a truly fascinating place for lovers of night skies.
Our afternoon continues by visiting other incredible spots among lighthouses, natural pools, cliffs and, finally, we will stop to photograph the sunset in another beach full of cliffs and caves.
After a packed lunch, we visit Teide National Park for our last night, where we will photograph various different spots and immortalize the Milky Way above the telescopes of the Teide astronomical observatory.
Departure from Tenerife South Airport.
- We can enjoy lunches in the various restaurants along the seafront of Los Cristianos, which are located just a few minutes’ walk from our hotel.
- During the free mornings, you can choose to. Either it’s to relax on the beach, wander around the city center or simply rest in the hotel or enjoy the swimming pool.
- To avoid unnecessary long drives and to make the most out of the time we have, we’re going to have 2 or 3 packed dinners. We will buy food from the supermarket, or pick up something easy to take away and have dinner in the middle of nature after sunset, while waiting for the Milky Way.
- When we have dinner in the middle of nature, we will take warm clothes with us to be able to face the night photo session in the best comfort.
What will you learn on this photo tour?
Between amazing sceneries, good photography and a lot of fun, we hope to give you an experience and adventure that you’ll remember for the rest of your life.
We don’t just want to give you an experience, though. We want to make sure you’re excited about the photographs you’ve captured on our various outings.
In addition to teaching photographic theories and techniques, we want to convey our passion and make you feel those emotions that being out in nature with a camera can give.
You will learn…
- Better manag your photographic equipment in easy and difficult situations
- Plan the shot through the use of apps and websites
- Read the histogram, both during shooting and in post-processing
- Compositional rules and the fundamentals to create impactful images
- How to use filters
- Manage various kind of lights, at sunset, sunrise and long exposures
- Choosing the right white balance
- Focus and hyperfocal distance
- The importance of the aperture
- The right shooting settings based on the scene, ISO, aperture, shutter speed and exposure compensation
- Masks and layers
- Dodge and burn
- Choice of color profiles (sRGB, Adobe RGB, Pro photo RGB)
- Use the tracker to get the best detail of the Milky Way and less digital noise. From the pointing phase of the Polaris to the shooting phase
- Recognize the night sky without using apps
- Many shooting techniques that will allow you to take home some “wow” photos, including focus stacking, mean stacking, perspective blend, multi exposure, focal blend, time blend
- Panoramic photography, day and night, from the arrangement of the equipment, to the merging of the shots in post production
- How to get details of the Milky Way, from the shooting phase to the edit
- Milky Way Color Processing
- Tips and tricks that pertain to my specific workflow
Giulio Cobianchi is a professional landscape photographer, experienced and specialized in night photography with 10 years of experience. His passion in looking for darker skies to better capture the beauty of our night sky, led him to travel to incredible places around the world. Tenerife is one of his favorite places. His satisfaction is making your dream come true.
Christian Høiberg is an international landscape photographer with a passion for wild landscapes where nature reigns. He is the founder of “CaptureLandscapes”, where he helps aspiring and advanced photographers improve their photography skills to make high-impact photos. With his great experience as a photographer and tour leader around the world, you will be in the best of hands.
In order to offer the best quality, the maximum of attendees has been limited, so that we can follow each participant closely and in the best way possible. A minimum is also been set for the tour to be confirmed.
Minimum: 4 participants
Maximum: 6 participants
Arrival: Tenerife south airport, May 15th (no later than 3pm)
Departure: Tenerife south airpot, May 21th
To reserve your seat, you can pay a deposit via bank transfer at the moment of the booking and the remaining part within 30 days before departure.
Total cost: 2890€
Tour dates: May 15th-21th, 2023
Single room supplement: 600€
The cost include
- All transfers by van
- Transportation to and from the airport
- Two professional photographers who will teach you their special personal techniques
- Local expert guide
- Overnight in double private rooms in a hotel
- All breakfasts
- Visit to the Teide astronomical observatory
- Photo editing lessons with registration
- Support WhatsApp private group
The cost doesn’t include
- International flights
- Meals and drinks (which will sometimes be packed)
- Everything that is not included in the item “The fee includes”
- Medical health insurance
(Upon request, the TRAVEL PLANET agency will take care of finding the best flights based on the departure airport.)
Documents and currency
- Passport/ identity card valid for travel broad
- The country’s currency is the Euro
- Visa/MasterCard credit card are accepted (you may have some problems with American Express)
- You can withdraw Euro in every ATM with a debit card
WHAT CLOTHES SHOULD I BRING ?
Tenerife has a nice and mild climate (min 20°/max 30°) so summer clothing is ideal.
A windbreaker/sweatshirt is sufficient in the evenings as the average temperature is still warm.
During the day it’s important to protect yourself from the sun with a hat and possibly a sunscreen.
In the Teide National Park we will be about 2500/2800 meters above sea level. The temperature here is a lot lower than down by the sea. You can expect temperatures down to zero degrees Celsius.
Winter clothes and good layers are essential to stay warm during the night sessions.
Hiking shoes are recommended when going to the Teide Park.
WHAT KIND OF WEATHER CAN I EXPECT ?
Tenerife is an incredible island, it has 7 internal microclimates and temperatures change within a few km of car.
During the day, along the coasts and also on the Teide park, we will find temperatures on average warm, very pleasant, between 20 and 30 degrees. During the night on the Teide park where we will take the photos we will be at about 2300 meters, the temperatures will drop approaching 3 or 4 degrees.
WHAT CAMERA GEAR SHOULD I BRING?
At the very least, bring your own camera, lenses, tripod, and laptop. If you are considering upgrading or investing in new camera gear prior to the trip, feel free to ask us for advice.
Photographic filters and a remote shutter release remote control are also recommended for those wanting to do long exposure photography.
The weather is cold during the night so extra batteries are useful.
We also suggest bringing multiple cloths to clean the lenses and a spare memory card.